Tuesday, September 11, 2007

humanoid and trench coats

i saw this humanoid sweater a few weeks ago on Impulse's blog and thought that it would sell out quickly. on friday i saw it on Le Train Bleu's site and thought about buying it. on sunday they were sold out. Impulse is also sold out. i've emailed a bunch of places, but only Presse in LA has replied. they don't have the exact sweater but will call the showroom just in case. it only costs $148. i should have gone ahead and called impulse the minute i saw it, but i hesitated because, well, i don't really need another sweater. i'm really working on this need/want problem, but it's rough going.


this is the closest thing that the store has in stock. i like it, but it's not the one that i want. i have too many sweaters to buy one that is nice but not perfect.



i'm still searching for the perfect trench. i tried on the uniqlo one, which wasn't too bad in terms of quality. the fit was really off, though. wide shoulders and over-long epaulets. i love the idea of the a.p.c. trench, but every time i try it on, it feels too boxy on me. the 36 seems to fit, but the shoulders are a little tight. and the length doesn't seem quite right, either. but i'd love an a.p.c. trench anyway. that's called stubbornness.

so now i'm looking at burberry. yes, it's twice as expensive. but i also have a mother who wants to buy me one. i tried on this longer version in a light beige and immediately thought audrey hepburn, charlotte gainsbourg, and all sorts of lovely things. it also conjured up difficult stains and dry cleaning bills.


the short version is also very nice, but costs the same amount. $980?



i tried on this banana republic trench today. it costs $228 and has a slightly flared skirt. it fits reasonably well, but the fabric has a different finish than that of the burberry gabardine coats. it's hard to say whether the burberry is worth the price. if i were to buy a trench, it would probably cost me at least $400. i think i'll have to try and practice some self-restraint.

11 comments:

Lena said...

can we trade moms??

erica said...

i'll have to think about it.

Ten Thousand Only said...

the banana looks lovely. time to call mom!

Anonymous said...

I want to see this a.p.c coat. I like the rag&bone coat.

Marga

Anonymous said...

Too funny. I was eyeing the Humanoid sweater too. And I passed on it for the very same reason. I have too many sweaters. The price is great though. I did cave and get the Mayle hoodie sweater which I LOVE - I have received tons of compliments on it. -M

erica said...

I just went to Presse in LA and it turns out they DIDN'T have the v-neck short sleeve sweater even though they sent me a photo of it. There's nothing like wasting an extra hour in the car to not buy something!
There was a slouchy grey VPL cashmere sweater there that was amazing, though.
I'd love to see all your Mayle pieces, live vicariously and all that.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! That is so frustrating. Sorry, that was a great sweater. I do adore Mayle - I have been wearing her stuff since 2001. Although there were a few seasons I did not buy too much because I thought her collections were a bit weak. But since Fall of 2005 she has been consistently dead-on. I really like Vanessa Bruno too. I used to love Marc by Marc Jacobs - but I have not bought anything by him in over 2 years - I got SO sick of his clothes. I also like J Crew - great for when you ae in that preepy sort of mood. - M

Anonymous said...

- great for when you are in that preppy sort of mood - sorry for the sloppy spelling and the very frustrating read - M

erica said...

I've been loving Mayle's collections sooo much as of late. Damn that clothing budget! That hoodie is really awesome, especially when worn unbuttoned. I completely agree with you about Marc by Marc Jacobs. I bought my mom one of his fleece-lined hoodies but haven't really loved anything in a long long while.
J Crew has definitely turned into my source for staples. Maybe it's because I spent 8 years in parochial school wearing a uniform (and now I live in Cambridge), but preppy is like my security blanket.

Angela said...

I bit the bullet on the APC trench when Le Train Bleu had a sale coupon. It is a bit boxy, but I feel that is somewhat the case for most APC clothing; the more you wear it, the more it seems to melt into your frame.

Can I also toss myself in there for the Impulse Seattle love? The styling is great, which just makes me want everything. I just wish they had a true ecommerce site!

erica said...

Angela--

I found the APC trench to be somewhat boxy on me, so I decided to pass. I'm glad to hear that it is working out for you.

I think Impulse is planning on a real ecommerce site, but who knows when that'll happen. I wish I lived in Seattle still, that's all...