Friday, August 21, 2009

on not shopping

thank you anabela for articulating something that i have been thinking about for a long while now. the main thing that i have been struggling with all summer is my desire to keep buying clothing that has no business being in my closet. my problem is that i bypass the designer collaborations at urban outfitters, target, h&m for the pricey stuff (handmade or otherwise). and instead of buying just one or two key pieces, i buy more than i should.

i created laws of general economy in order to both share what i have and to remind myself to be more cautious when buying. it's a step in the right direction for me. at the end of the day, though, i can't bring myself to stop blogging because i have met so many wonderful people through it. and for me, fashion and getting dressed everyday is a leap of faith, a reminder that play is still a vital activity for us all.

4 comments:

anabela / fieldguided said...

For the record, every time I open my closet door and see my Mociun dress hanging there, I feel really happy. I have yet to wear it in public but it represents something to me. Thank you for the Laws of General Economy. xo

evencleveland said...

I saw that post through the Wiksten blog the other day - very thought-provoking. My new year's resolution was to be more mindful about what I buy and how it was made. It's not easy - some companies are crystal clear about how things are made, others not so much. And unfortunately a high price isn't always a corollary to humane business practices.

I think the equally hard issue is the one you point to - controlling amounts. The impulse to acquire new stuff is very tempting, especially in the blog world of group ooh and ahhs over every cute thing. It's hard to step back from what you have and say 'enough'. That's why I love General Economy - I love the idea of big virtual closet swap. Although I would have loved it even more if I had won that Vena Cava necklace ...

miss sophie said...

well said.

there's something about blogging that satisfies/fuels retail therapy, virtual and otherwise. but i agree with anabela - there's something really lovely about taking the time and indulging in the imagination to make 'getting dressed' every day a creative act.
and as for still trying to shop with caution and precision in spite of it all, i'm grateful for blogs like yours and others that have provided much engaging inspiration over the past year! :)

fleur_delicious said...

In addition to introducing me to new designers and new ways of looking at fashion (read: expanding my taste), your blog has also become a regular inspiration for the garments I design and sew for myself! I really enjoy your fashion posts as I know I can anticipate learning about lines I've never heard of and new and interesting pieces from your excellent taste and selection!

I'm quite charmed by the General Economy, too. I've won two items, both of which have needed a little work (repairing a fraying neckline on a dress and DIY'ing Chloe-esque ankle straps to a pair of wedges that were too wide) but both were absolutely worth the effort, as The General Economy made items previously unavailable on my budget accessible to me. And I've sold a few things, which feels REALLY good.

thanks for all you do!